Thursday 21 August 2014

There is POWER in a VOICE.

I continuously promote a growth mindset to my students-take risks, learn from your mistakes and failure promotes resilience. You know when you are at a point in your career or life when you think, 'Why not?'  Last Saturday my goal was to initiate a #SatChatOc on Voxer group. I did ask myself, what if…it doesn’t work, what if… nobody joins, what if… it fails! Then I thought, what if it’s successful and I introduce a new learning platform to some Australian (and maybe even global) educators. I knew how much I had gained from being on #satchat Voxer. Why not share the learning?

Over the last year I have been inspired by @bradcurrie who continually challenges me. Yet he doesn’t even know it. When Brad first approached me to moderate #SatChatOc I responded with, “I’m sorry I don’t think I’m techy enough and it’s a bit out of my comfort zone”.  Next I knew, I was included in all the emails from the #satchat family. I have come to learn that I thrive when given a challenge or an opportunity to learn something new. But it also helps having someone believe in your ability. Brad created a Smore for #satchat, so I created one for #SatChatOc. Twitter has brought new life to my learning. I appreciate all the information shared on Twitter and the many educators in my PLN.


Over the last month, I have been fortunate to be part of the #satchat Voxer group. I listen to administrators and teachers (mainly USA) share their experiences, failures & triumphs. I listen intently to their stories and do not feel an urgency to respond, retweet or favour. Voxer allows me time to think and also provides the flexibility to learn in my own time. I listen to Voxer on my drive to and from work. It’s like having an audio book of people’s experiences and real life stories. The advice and experiences are always current and authentic and I listen attentively while thinking to myself. This creates some very deep reflecting.


On Saturday, I created a Google spreadsheet-something I’ve not done before. I direct messaged my friends for advice & feedback. @cybraryman1 was quick with his advice and the #SatChatOc on Voxer group soon began. Within three days we had quite a few members (from Twitter) and we’d covered numerous topics-trust, leadership, school culture and mentors. Listening to your own voice & analysing your presentation skills is another benefit of Voxer. I am attempting to decrease the number of 'ums' when I talk. The other benefit I see with Voxer is the ability to replay entries and speed up messages. 


This makes your learning flexible and autonomous yet supported and unrestricted. While I have felt connected to many of the educators in my PLN through Twitter, Voxer has created a deeper level of learning and my professional relationships with others has become stronger. Learning has become more personal. Daily, I am inspired by these people and enjoy being surrounded by passionate, enthusiastic and generous educators. Voxer has brought learning, reflecting and being connected to a whole new level. Twitter, like emails, do not convey emotions. Vocal inflection, gestures and sarcasm (an Aussie favourite) are at most times lost in a text or 140 characters. 


There is POWER in a VOICE.

Imagine the possibilities…
Andrea

Voxer is a San Francisco based mobile app development company most well known for its free Voxer Walkie Talkie app for smartphones. Voxer Walkie Talkie is both a live "push-to-talk" system and a voice messaging system. Other features include the ability to send texts and pictures.
http://voxer.com/faq/



7 comments:

  1. Nice post Andrea. I am impressed with your turn around!!!! It hasn't even been a week.
    Captures the power of social media. Networking, reflecting = learning.
    There IS power in voice.
    Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the title of my blog Phillip. Feel very fortunate to know so many wonderful educators. I've been on #satchat Voxer longer but wanted to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea I am so excited to be a part of this new group. I am learning and listening and contributing in a way that inspires and invigorates me. I am constantly challenged by the thought processes of more experienced educators with the added bonus of improving ones presentation skills. I too am guilty of the 'um'! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane for your feedback and being part of #SatChatOc on Voxer. Learning from collective knowledge and experience-nothing better.

      Delete
  4. Hi Andrea. I'm really enjoying the extra dimension that Voxer brings. Thanks for inviting me into the group. Re. the "ums" and "ehs" - I really don't mind this (I know I do it myself). I think it adds authenticity and makes the exchange more conversational. You can "hear" people pausing for thought and finding the right words through this. I did notice though that I speed up and my accent can be stronger if I make a more immediate response to something or I'm particularly enthused about it. Cheers, Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accent? What accent? I love how we are connecting and learning...and your sharing is so generous. Thanks Chris

      Delete
  5. We think voice has quite a lot of power too. Thanks for writing this awesome post and for spreading the word about Voxer! If you email us your shipping address and size, we'd love to send you some swag! jen@voxer.com (Community Manager) - Jen

    ReplyDelete